Two Sundays ago, the kids and I were on our way home from church and noticed a decent sized box turtle in the road. Despite traffic whizzing by, it had it's head out and was looking around. I stopped the van and picked him up; the kids were ecstatic! That's when the plan came to me, let's take him home:) No, David wasn't with us, which is what made this thought even a possibility!! The kids were on board with the idea in seconds...until I put him in the van.
That turtle wasn't shy at all, and began climbing under seats and making his way all over the van exploring. Julia was of course very excited about taking him home, but as soon as she realized he could crawl around, she tucked her knees up under her chin and commenced to scrying...yes it is a made up word which means to scream and cry simultaneously! She was relieved to find that the turtle couldn't reach her and soon calmed down enough to enjoy his antics in the van! I explained to the children that even though the turtle was a wild animal, and that we would be letting him go when we got home, it would be fun to name him. He was soon crowned Herbie the turtle. Herbie came home with us, was properly shown off to all neighboring friends, given some lettuce and then released to find a new place to live out back.
No comments:
Post a Comment